Sunday, June 19, 2011

PE5_Soundation

So, I have put some more time in with Soundation, and I am flying high.
After I cycled through the standard features that I knew I would need to accomplish an audio production project I moved on to exploring Soundations cloud based functionality. My eyes definitely opened when I realized the collaborative potential of a tool like soundation. I spent considerable time moving files back and forth from my desk to the cloud, and am at the point where I can try running separate instances of the tool on multiple machines



AudioLocker is a proprietary app that runs shotgun with the online Soundation engine. It functions much like an ftp or iDisc in the way that information, in this case audio files, and specifically .wav files  are stored and transferred. Up to ten gb of storage space is available depending on account settings. Soundation also allows users to save and store projects directly to their hard drives if preferred. 
Soundation also allows for mix down of completed projects direct to the users desk top, at which point the sky is the limit to what you can do with the file.
One thing that really intrigued me was that Soundation will publish directly to Facebook, I have yet to tested this feature as I have not completed a project, but I'd like to try it with Rils.


What does all this really mean?

Well, for my Rils project my intention is to have may target group create an audio product, most likely a song, that will be published to the web. All production will take place in Soundation, on a single account that each user will share access to. 
All the files/tracks will be recorded/created in Soundation and be hosted in the cloud via AudioLocker. Basically this mean that my target group will be a able to work and collaborate remotely on the same project, allowing them to view, edit, and  add content at will. My group is localized enough that they will be able to see each other if need be, but if all goes well they shouldn't have to. Cloud based collaborative production is the name of the game here, I hope it works out.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment