Saturday, January 14, 2012

MAC Week 2 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 1–4


What a fantastic TED Talk! Joe thank you for posting this video, if you have anymore favorites please make us all aware.

These quotes from the video deserve blog space.

"Who am I being, that my players eyes are not shining?" - Benjamin Zander





"It is one of the characteristics of a leader, that he not doubt for one moment the capacity of the people he is leading to realizing whatever he is dreaming." - Benjamin Zander



"The conductor doesn't make a sound, he depends for his power, on his ability to make other people powerful." 
- Benjamin Zander


"I will never say anything, that couldn't stand as the last thing I ever say." - Auschwits survivor
It took me a minute to figure out what I wanted to say about the book, 
but in the first four chapters this is where my head is at…



Dear Mr. Zander,
I got my "A" because I found purpose in the process. What I used to think were vain attempts at reaching some unseen goal, lost in space, or some endless maze, were in fact the efforts of one finding his individual points, lines, and planes. This entire time I have been tracing out my own great pattern. Though I cannot see it in its entirety, I do know it is there, and I know, even in the dark, exactly what I am doing. As the days pass, the little fears and insecurities of the past reveal themselves as sure footing for the moment that make the pathway to a glorious future.
Sincerely,
Adam Vaughn

6 comments:

  1. @ Adam

    The quotes and photos are a great representation of the readings accompanied by the video Professor Joe provided for us this week. I too thought about writing the letter to Mr. Zander, yet I took a different approach on how each chapter represented my life. I thought about the past and looked in to the future. I thought that Zander's book was empowering and I am looking forward to tapping in to the other chapters. I too deserve an A as you do because of the risked we have taken with this incredible journey at Full Sail University. Great job on providing your perspective on this weeks readings on your blog. I always enjoy viewing and digesting your viewpoints of different assignments.
    Thank you
    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam Vaughn, I liked the letter you wrote Mr. Zander. That was a great idea. I wished that I had written him one too. I find that life can be a puzzle and sometimes an endless maze but with time, and a whole lot of effort and a different frame of mine we can find our way to solve it and find our own pathways. I enjoyed the pictures you provided and the quotes too. I am still finding my own pathway, so that I can get back on track with this journey at Full Sail. Great Blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a unique way to explain the text. I never thought of creating my own letter.

    Also, I love the quotes. very fitting. I particularly like the one about the conductor not making a sound. really stood out to a musician.

    Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam,

    Love the pictures and the quotes. Added a fabulous touch to a fabulous book!!! I also liked how you added a letter to Dr. Zander, way to internalize your reading. I have spoken with a member of the PAC team at my school to see if we can do the letter to increase the overall moral and success rate of our staff. Sometimes you need to picture your success in order to obtain it. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Adam!

    I loved your A letter to Mr. Zander and the reference to points, lines and planes. I can't get earthquakes, volcanoes, water, wind and ice out of my head either. The quotes you choose were a great choice to illustrate the main points of the book. I also loved the Auschwitz survivor quote. I wish I could remember it all the time. You shared some powerful points. I look forward to reading about you take on the next chapters. Thanks for sharing!

    Kate (still is considering me Edulation Nation from Deason's class).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful collection of quotes and thoughts. love your letter. Yes, it's better to have an actual goal in one's daily life versus, as you said, "tracing out my own great pattern," and then to realize that the goal is of our own design. Huge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete